Friday, November 12, 2004

BOOKS I RE/READ SEPTEMBER 2004

"Carnet de Voyage" by Craig Thompson
From the author of "Blankets," which is one of the most acclaimed graphic novels in recent years (deservingly so, I think). There's nothing earth-shattering about this book--it's neither a follow-up or an extension of "Blankets," more of a sketchbook that his editors probably pressured him to publish due to all his recent commercial success. But the art is beautiful, and there's some interesting travel writing in there, so why the hell not?

"The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger
I'm not a big romance story buff by any means. But this is a beautiful book. It's a little confusing at times, following the non-linear story told in a linear way, but it all comes together very nicely in the end. I was getting all anxious near the end of the book, because there's such a palpable sense of forboding--you just know something's going to happen, and it kills you that you can't tell what that something is--but I love a story that really sucks you in like that. I missed my stop on the subway because of this book. And no, I didn't cry at the end, but I can see how you would.

"Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown
I will not be the first to note that this is almost exactly the same setup as "The Da Vinci Code". Be that as it may, here's another good beach book, suspenseful and absorbing and (again) a little bit educational. And while I totally thought I had guessed the major plot twist, I was completely wrong.

"The Diary of a Teenage Girl" by Phoebe Gloeckner
I thought this was going to be a comic when I ordered it, but it's actually mostly prose, with illustrations and occasional comic strip interludes. I like this book because it's very honest, despite a lot of the ugliness that she writes about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home