Wednesday, November 10, 2004

BOOKS I RE/READ APRIL 2004

"To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee
This is quite simply one of my top five favorite books of all time. I mean, if someone put a gun to my head and forced me to choose five books (which would be a little unecessarily violent, but whatever). I'm a sucker for a good coming of age story, and of course it's a tremendously important story for its time, what with the Civil Rights movement and all that. It reminds me a lot of a book I enjoyed as a child, "Autumn Street" by Lois Lowry, an under-read and almost defintely underappreciated book, given that it is marketed as "young adult literature" and therefore probably skipped over by most. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Demi Moore and Bruce Willis for ruining the name "Scout" for all the rest of us.

"Unlikely" by Jeffrey Brown
A graphic novel about a young guy's doomed love with some punk rock girl. I feel the same way about this book as I do about Jeffrey Brown's other big book, "Clumsy", and that is: eh. What's the big deal? I mean, we all like a little voyeurism now and then, and it's pretty funny what a Sensitive Naked Man he is, but really. It's not very sophisticated, and the art is primative. (Yes, just like my crappy comics, but I don't see Chris Ware singing my praises.) I mean, I'll read his stuff, but I just don't quite get the hype.

"Cannery Row" by John Steinbeck
Sorry, I have to admit that I didn't really finish this book. I was all excited that there was a Chinese guy in the story, but unfortunately, he was a boring Chinese guy. I'll try this one again at a later date.

"Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser
This book found some national acclaim a year or two ago, exposing the seamy underbelly of America's fast food industry, and paved the way for the documentary "Supersize Me". I would classify it as a good subway read. It's broken up into chapters by topic, like a textbook, and it has a lot of interesting and sometimes unsavory behind the scenes material, which I find fascinating. Some people swore off fast food forever after reading this book. I swore off it for about a week, but then we took a trip to Colorado and I just had to try a Carl's Junior burger, I'd heard so much about it. Sorry, indignant food cops.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home